Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pickled Peppers

I went to the Memphis Farmers market this weekend and picked up a bunch of great meats and produce.  I got some pork from Newman farms, some beef from Neola farms, and a bunch of vegetables from assorted stands.  I got some great looking peppers from one of them.  They looked just like the cover of one of my new cookbooks, My Calabria.
I rinsed the peppers and cut the stems, then got all of my other ingredients ready.  Little Mis En Place!!
  • 274 g Hot peppers
  • 120g Spanish onions, Frenched
  • 12g Garlic cloves lightly crushed approx. 3
  • 10g Tellicherry Peppercorns
  • 23g Granulated Sugar
  • 7g Coriander seed whole
  • 2g Dill seed whole
  • 23g Kosher salt
  • 3ea bay leaves
  • 450ml Champagne Vinegar
  • 200ml White Vinegar
  • 225ml Distilled water
  • 3ea pint size mason jars.

Combine all liquids, and spices and put in a medium size saucepan.  Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until all of the sugar and salt has dissolved completely.  While this is cooking, divide the peppers, onions, and garlic evenly in the mason jars.  Pour the pickling liquid over the pepper mixture.  Make sure you try to get an even amount of spices from the pan into each jar.  Cap your mason jars and let cool to room temp.
Let these peppers sit in the fridge for at least one week before using.  These can be served whole or sliced thinly.  These are great on top of a roast pork sandwich, sliced very thinly on some great bread.  Also a big fan of them in some fish Tacos.  Settle down Bryan.  I know this is not typical of what I am normally posting, but get over it.  Don't forget, Source Local and Love your Meat.  I am thinking about starting up a little Charcuterie company, any ideas for names!!  Throw me some Ideas, If I pick it you will get a great gift box of my cured goodness.

1 comment:

  1. didnt you prick your finger with your sausage stuffer while trying to poke the peppers, and then rubbed it all over

    ReplyDelete